Closed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh the perks.

2 posters

Go down

Oh the perks. Empty Oh the perks.

Post  Hermit Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am

So there have been 2 major anxiety-related issues causing stress in my life at the moment. I really don't know what to do about them but I can't let it continue like this.

1. The shaking. Whenever I'm nervous I get this huge knot in my stomach and just start trembling all over. It used to only affect school presentations so I made arrangements with teacher to fix that. But now when asked to spend time one on one with someone i don't know all too well, I become a walking earthquake. I get nauseous to the point of cancelling plans and people are getting scared off when I try to explain. I've tried therapy, medication, all that and nothing is helping this instictual reaction. I don't know what to do anymore. It's impeding my ability to meet new people, to get involved romantically with anyone or even to get a job.

2. The fear. This aspect is affecting my school work drastically. I have cut a week's worth of english classes this week and I am terrifed to face the teacher. Combined with my depression I was focusing all the attention on bettering myself rather than on the book I was required to read and as a result I am very behind and can't ask for help without completely breaking down. I've already talked to my school counsellor and nothing useful is coming up. I'm in way over my head and I can't keep making excuses.

Please help me, anyone.

Hermit

Back to top Go down

Oh the perks. Empty Re: Oh the perks.

Post  Rosivenna Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 am

Oh, I'm so sorry. I don't have anything to help you but to say that I understand, particularly with the second point. I skipped two weeks of class in November because I hadn't done the homework and was too terrified to face the other students (big lectures=prof doesn't care but other students notice) I went to the hospital, dropped all my classes, and am taking this semester off to regroup.

If you've been talking to your counselor could you ask them to set up a meeting with your teacher to explain what is going on? Or maybe you can send an email to your teacher, if you don't think you can talk to them face-to-face? Then you could also edit it and take your time with it to make sure the words are the way you want them to be. I know the situation might be different but my professors that I spoke with before I dropped the courses last semester were very understanding and seemed very familiar with students crying in their offices.
Rosivenna
Rosivenna

Back to top Go down

Post  theanonymous3000 Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:27 pm

I've never even had the outgoing guts to tell any of my teachers what has been going on when it comes to the unrealistically noticeable nervousness, but I have been able to calm myself down with tea. It wasn't necessarily the biggest difference, but it helped some. Fact is, I'm afraid to tell anyone about my social anxiety, as I'm afraid of putting myself out there and being embarrassed.
Everything you described is what I have to deal with when talking to anyone. I haven't had any medication or any substantial therapy for my severe social shyness. I can't help you with this any more than you can help yourself, unfortunately--I just wanted to say that I know exactly what you're going through, and that you are not alone.
If anyone else could provide solid feedback, it will definitely benefit us.

theanonymous3000

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum