Closed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you start treatment?

2 posters

Go down

How do you start treatment? Empty How do you start treatment?

Post  Kat Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:08 pm

I had always been meaning to start some sort of treatment or medication for my anxiety, but of course I would constantly put it off. Ironically because I'm too anxious about the process.
It seems really stressful to have to make phone calls, figure out the financial part, and just.. auugh.
I don't really have anyone in my life at the moment who can help me, so I'm just wondering how it was for some of you who have gone through this stage, or if you have any advice.
Thanks albino
Kat
Kat

Back to top Go down

How do you start treatment? Empty Re: How do you start treatment?

Post  Rosivenna Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:25 pm

I was vaguely aware of a counselling program on campus and googled it for the specifics. I called them since I found just going in too daunting and hearing the receptionist tell me exactly what to do got me to the point of being able to go in. She did basically just tell me to walk in, fill out some paper work, then make an appointment. On the financial side I'm really lucky and I'm still on my mom's insurance that covers everything I need almost 100% except for a couple of dollars per prescription so I haven't had to think about the money too much.

I would recommend googling anxiety treatment/anxiety centers/psychiatrists in your area. If you're near a university or college maybe see if they have anything - the anxiety clinic I'm going to now is affiliated with my university but it's not just for students nor are the therapists students. I don't know what to tell you for finances. Just handing over my insurance information has been enough so far and if it ever isn't I know my grandma will willingly pay for it. I can't make promises on the phone call side since the anxiety clinic did have a half hour phone interview thing where they gathered general information. I have found that in general there is a clearly defined way to do things and that asking questions isn't frowned upon. And once you're in treatment it's easier to be recommended to other places that might better suit your needs.

And something my mom keeps telling me (though I haven't needed it): If you get a jerk of a therapist, don't let it stop you from getting help. Move on and let them deal with whatever their problem is.
Rosivenna
Rosivenna

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 am

Thank you, that was really helpful. cat Gives me a place to start looking.
I'm a little nervous about the prospect of really long phone calls, but I guess it's something they're probably used to. I do live in Canada and I vaguely recall my sister mentioning how some things are covered, so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. (..Maybe I'll e-mail.)
If you don't mind me asking, how do sessions typically start? Or what kinds of things do they ask you? I'm a little nervous about getting to the point of making an appointment, and just freezing up. x_x
Kat
Kat

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosivenna Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:59 am

The very first sessions in my experience start with asking questions about your history. So like "Have you ever received treatment before?" "Are you on any medications?" "Is there a history of mental illness in your family?" and then questions about your symptoms like "Do you have racing thoughts?" "Do you have anything you have to do a certain number of times like (...)?" "Have you ever had a panic attack?" Then they might ask if there's something specific you want to address in that session. In pretty much any session after that they'll ask follow up questions from the previous session and then move on with a topic brought up in that or offer you the chance to talk about whatever you want. They almost always ask if you have any questions at some point in the session.
Rosivenna
Rosivenna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum