Closed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medication

5 posters

Go down

Medication Empty Medication

Post  laurenmaree Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:12 am

Medication is a very easy and mainstream solution to anxiety. I have always been sort of "anti-meds", which is why i prolonged my visit to the doctor about my problems. I was hoping I would be able to walk out with just a referral to a psychologist, which I did, but also with a bottle of pills. I was really nervous about it at first, and felt kind of embarrassed that I had to take them, which is kind of ironic since they were supposed to help my anxiety but they were just giving me more.
At the moment I am working full time until Uni goes back in February, and even though I let management know about it (they have to know cause they make me drowsy) I feel really awkward about them knowing and about having take the medication if I start to have an anxiety attack while working.

The medication does work, but not immediately. About 20 to 30 minutes after I take one dose, I start to feel really tired and my movements slow down and I can't go as fast as I need to keep up with orders at work. I suppose it is good in that sense because just before I have an attack I rush around and feel like I can't stop or stay still, so that calms me down. A few hours after taking it I have to have a nap for a few hours, then I will usually get up, have dinner, then go back to bed for the night. The next morning however I feel really calm and in higher spirits than the day before.
I'm scared that I'll get stuck in a loop of having to take them though. My roster at the moment is monday to friday, 5am to about 1 or 2 pm. My work can be quite stressful, especially if we are understaffed which is quite regular. On the monday i will be feeling quite funny and on edge because I try not to take my meds on the weekend. So monday I will have a dose, feel tired and such, go home and sleep, then the next day will feel quite good, but get really paranoid that if i don't have another dose I will feel fine the next day, and often will sacrifice a full day of feeling alert and happy, for a half day of that the next day.
I have been really freaking out that I'm going to get stuck in a cycle of relying on them to feel good. The last week I managed to break my cycle a few times, and discovered that I don't feel all that bad if I don't have some medication.

So what are everyone else's thoughts and opinions towards medication?
laurenmaree
laurenmaree

Back to top Go down

Medication Empty Re: Medication

Post  Rubles Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 pm

I honestly haven't had any experience with medication. I'm currently seeing one of the free councillors at my university, and while she's quite helpful, I just can't help but feel it's not hitting the problems right on the head. I want to go see someone else, but unfortunately I can't pluck up the courage nor can I afford it... If I was given the option of medication, let's say, I would probably take it with a pinch of salt. I can definitely see the benefits of it, but I'd be afraid of the same things as you; getting stuck in a cycle. But, if it works for you, then don't push it too far Smile
Rubles
Rubles

http://strangevege.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  daiyadarko Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:14 pm

well for one, i don't think you should skip weekends. the sooner your body adjusts, the better.

i always knew i needed medication and treatment, but i was afraid of the stigma that follows needing medication and therapy (it's even worse in the black community). once i was hospitalized, they put me on prozac because they thought i was depressed, even though i told them i'm manic depressive. it wasn't until i saw my therapist that he told me i was bipolar and then i started receiving the proper medication.

my bipolar meds also help my anxiety (hence me talking about being bipolar). i'm on 100 mg of Lamactil and 1 mg of Risperdal. The latter is or night time, and helps me not start having panic attacks and nervous break downs from over thinking things. my schedule is Lamactil in the morning, Risperdal in the evening and at first it felt weird, but then i couldn't even notice when it took effect. everything just feels...fine. i'm terrified of going off my meds because one night, i didn't take my medicine at the right time and was out with a friend, and i had a manic episode that led to me nearly trashing my ex's house. the risperdal is a tranquilizer, and it's a wonderful drug for settling the mind and generally making you feel at ease.
daiyadarko
daiyadarko

http://goodperson-baddecisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laurenmaree Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:07 pm

@Rubles:
I noticed you live in Australia; me too! I have heard from my boyfriend (who is doing honors psychology) that every Australian citizen is eligible for 11 free sessions w/ a psychologist due to the extremely high suicide rate over the last decade or so. If you feel you want to speak to one, I say look into it and ask your councilor about it Smile

@daiyadarko: I am taking 15mg of Alepam (oxazepam), and while i find it does work, would be interested in seeing if there is something different I can take as I find it screws with my routine too much. I don't know much about medications, and when I showed my meds to my manager so they knew what I was taking, she seemed quite shocked and said she's surprised that they have me on something so strong. I'm not really sure what she meant by 'strong', like what makes medication 'strong' and what makes it not? haha just if you know Smile

xo
laurenmaree
laurenmaree

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubles Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:10 pm

laurenmaree wrote:@Rubles:
I noticed you live in Australia; me too! I have heard from my boyfriend (who is doing honors psychology) that every Australian citizen is eligible for 11 free sessions w/ a psychologist due to the extremely high suicide rate over the last decade or so. If you feel you want to speak to one, I say look into it and ask your councilor about it Smile

Yay! A fellow Australian my age too!
Really? I honestly wasn't aware of this... The doctor I'm seeing really hasn't talked to me about any other sort of medical professionals, and I'm a bit too afraid to ask, I don't want to insult her because she really is lovely and her coping methods do help sometimes, but I just don't know whether they're things I'm going to be able to hold onto forever. I've come to the terms with the fact that I'll never be un-anxious, but some of the techniques really do inhibit on a normal days schedule.
Rubles
Rubles

Back to top Go down

Post  daiyadarko Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:48 pm

laurenmaree wrote:@daiyadarko: I am taking 15mg of Alepam (oxazepam), and while i find it does work, would be interested in seeing if there is something different I can take as I find it screws with my routine too much. I don't know much about medications, and when I showed my meds to my manager so they knew what I was taking, she seemed quite shocked and said she's surprised that they have me on something so strong. I'm not really sure what she meant by 'strong', like what makes medication 'strong' and what makes it not? haha just if you know Smile

xo
Well the 'strength" of the medication refers to how strong the effects are. Some medication affect you almost immediately, usually with some side effects being very apparent. Other times it could just mean it's working too well. My night time meds were strong at first, making me sleepy and hungry at the same time, but my body has gotten used to it now.
daiyadarko
daiyadarko

http://goodperson-baddecisions.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aigis Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:54 am

When my doctor asked if I wanted medication, I immediately replied no. Unfortunately I had a close friend a few years back with (different) anxiety issues, who became very dependent on her meds and eventually overdosed and ended up in hospital. I know that this is not the general case, and I would probably be taking very different meds as well. I just find it difficult to get over the initial reaction of 'don't want to be anywhere near them'.

I'm going to start seeing a different doctor soon, so if they bring it up I may try and be more open minded this time round.

Reading about the reluctance to go to therapy based on cost makes me extra thankful for the NHS. I probably wouldn't even have approached the doctor if I had to worry about the financial impact as well.
Aigis
Aigis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubles Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:31 am

Aigis wrote:Reading about the reluctance to go to therapy based on cost makes me extra thankful for the NHS. I probably wouldn't even have approached the doctor if I had to worry about the financial impact as well.

Yeah unfortunately therapy can be really expensive here... That's why I'm really thankful for the free health services offered at my university, but as I said before, I don't know whether it's really hitting it on the head.
Rubles
Rubles

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlover Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:35 am

I would like to take therapy, what sorts do you feel might help?

Honestly, it is better to try therapy or herbal meds than prescribed.

I was on paxil for a year and it worked wonders but now that i am off them.
The withdrawal symptoms are worse than my actual anxiety.

Same with all SSRI's

nightlover
nightlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down